[at-l] Pack Liners

On Aug 11, 2005, at 6:48 PM, Nancy wrote:

> Although it never fits right I use a plastic trash compactor bag to
> line my backpack. I use it to keep my gear dry and to cover my pack
> at night.
> I was wondering if other hikers line their backpacks.
> Why do you line your pack?
> What kind of bag do you use?
> They say the newer backpacks use waterproof fabrics making the
> trash bag liner unecessary.

I never trust a backpack to be waterproof.  And if it were, it'd
puddle water in the bottom so that's no good.

I use several trash compactor bags.  One just for my sleeping bag
(and underquilt).  One for clothes.  I keep them separate from the
sleeping bag so if I have to open the pack to get more clothes, the
sleeping bag doesn't get wet.

Sometimes I use a separate trash compactor bag for my everything
else, but not always.

-joy