Why Hike?? -- [Was: Re: [at-l] Watches on the Trail? And Nimblewill Nomad...

In a message dated 8/10/2005 6:37:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
daveh@psknet.com writes:
*
*
*
Some of the "doer's" are distant related, or maybe goal focused.  Some are
purity driven.

            ***     How could anyone criticize this eloquent description of
the Trail scene? Most of it is right and written in the spirit of the Trail.
However, cloaked inside this nicely written piece there seems to be an attempt
to single out "purity" as one form of the multiple approaches - and it is.
However, the way I read it seems to sort of place this general HYOH Trail norm in
front of the eccentricity of "purity" and there we go. In fact, I think the
whole post was obviously written as an indirect attempt to denigrate more formal
(or pure) approaches to the Trail - and I'm not afraid to point it out.

For me the trail is less doing and more being.  It is a lot about retreat and
recreation (i.e., re-creation -- getting in touch with something missing from
urban/modern life).

            ***    Like disconnectedness and wildness. (And maybe even
respect for formal purposes to boot)

So, for my 2c, I suggest that the first thing one should do is to learn what
'Hike your own hike' really means for you.  Don't look to others to confirm
that for you and don't insist that others march to the same drum that you do.

           ***    I'd never attack Dave. I respect him and his
Trail-involvement. But it's obvious this thread evolved from Rafe thinking of an excuse to
get around the cell phone issue. He brought up watches as a diversion from what
we were discussing. That diversion is still in your post title. If we were
honest we would admit that is correct. So what we are really getting to is a
morphing of the cell phone/wilderness ethic discussion into a hiker-oriented HYOH
discussion. But the post was definitely inspired and directly related to the
cell phone issue. What I'm doing here is establishing the usual psychological
mechanisms many Trail members use to convert the cell phone issue into another
form where it can be defeated without ever addressing it.

The trail itself  and the broader AT community, like  most large human
endeavors, have lots of faces, cliques, etc.  [BTW, as we all know that is
true of this site, also.]  To some degree hiking your own hike tends to get
some of us emotional about our hike and how we feel about certain issues --
they become our hike and our issues.  Attack them [my hike or my issues or
even my friends] and you attack me.  In many ways, we are like a big
amily  -- in that we may fight among ourselves, but let something. or
somebody,  threaten us from the outside....  Well - ever seen someone try to
step between two brothers that were fighting each other?

            ***    The problem with this is it is exactly true. However, the
most hostile and emotional members appear to be ones who try to suppress
serious, organized Trail talk. Unfortunately they use vague terms like those in
this post to justify it. The problem with this post is it only deals in hikers
and HYOH conflicts. So, yet again, in relation to the cell phone issue, it is
"talking about talking about" the issue instead of directly discussing the
facts. Like every single pro-cell phone reply, it never once addresses anything
specific about the formal Trail or its purpose. Really, I hate seeing that coming
from well-known Trail-insiders because it gives it credibility when it's
effect is further marginalizing Trail advocacy. I must point out that, yet again,
this view comes from someone who carries a cell phone on the AT.

               You HYOH people really need to learn to involve specific Trail
ideas and the formal Trail itself as it is known from its literature,
history, and better thinkers. Why I don't like this post is because it very subtly
poses advocates as "outsiders" with the "family" fighting back. That is just
popular hiker terminology, it really doesn't mean that much compared to the
conceptual, institutional Trail and it's purpose. I really wish Trail members would
take up the AT on a more productive and participatory level. Frankly, I feel
stupid saying "HYOH" and feel it detours people away from this level.

Try not to go there.  Don't try to hike the Trail on someone else's terms or
expect them to hike on yours.  And neither expect everyone in this, or any,
family to always agree with you, nor expect the family to be completely
dysfunction-free.

               ***    This is exactly why I criticize this post. In the end
it's just another post giving the shove to hiker awareness of the wilderness
ethic without ever discussing it directly. In fact I find it insidiously
destructive to the AT and its purpose. What you are doing is promoting a norm of
Trail disconcern that is entirely inappropriate to the Trail's mission. It's
result will be producing a league of HYOH leprechauns whose sense of the Trail is
to see intelligent Trail awareness as a threat - or outside of the "family".
Hikers should be taught to work towards the Trail's purpose not against it. HYOH
is NOT the Trail's purpose.

                I say that in sincere respect to Dave and his
way-above-and-beyond Trail involvement...

Chainsaw