[at-l] New ATC Site

Sly's last post prompted me to prowl around
the newly-updated ATC site.  Either I've been
sleeping, or it's really improved.  This page
really impressed me (Preparing for a Thru-Hike)

http://tinyurl.com/ctduu

Quoting the last paragraph verbatim:

"Only you know best what kind of person you are.
Will you endure days of rain, when every item
you own becomes soggy, including your tent
and sleeping bag? Are you willing to plod up
seemingly endless mountains with muscles
that ache, only to see another grind still to come?
Will you still be inspired after every view starts to
look the same and the Trail seems like an endless
green tunnel?"

It's one of the major regrets in my life that I
can't answer these questions affirmatively.

In any case, kudos to the ATC for laying it on
the line so succinctly.  RnR, take note,
"the endless green tunnel" isn't an expression
owned exclusively by trail-haters.

The internet makes thru-hike planning too easy.
Back in 1990 there was some trail-induced access
to the local library when I planned my attempt.
How quaint.

Pi$$ed that they're tearing down the Glastonbury
firetower.  That's a piece of culture they're
tearing down.  I don't get it.

rafe b
aka terrapin