[at-l] Knowing that it's there.. and atml

At 11:47 AM 8/7/2005 -0400, Jim Owen wrote:

>6. We haven't educated the general population about wind farms and condos.
>If we had, we wouldn't be having the occasional battle - as in PA, with
>the race track (among others).  The general public no more understands the
>argument that the AT shouldn't be abutted by condos than the advocates for
>cell phone usage on the Trail understand the implications of what they
>advocate.  That doesn't make them terrible people - just ignorant of the
>consequences of what they do.  And that's a common human condition.

I think you conflate a number of issues here.

First, I don't see myself as a cell phone advocate.
I just don't go along with creating spurious and
destructive "class divisions" between AT hikers
over such matters. Us vs. them, strong vs weak,
pure vs. impure, wise vs. naive, etc.

Second, I think it's unfair to suggest that all cell
phone users or carriers are unaware of their
impact, consequences, and implications.

You know, I wish there were far fewer automobiles
on the roads today.  The consequences of auto
(and fossil-fuel) use are enormous, possibly
catastrophic on a global scale.  But since the
alternatives are few in the USA, I own a car and
drive to most places.

I think it's fair and proper to analyze technologies
based on their cost-benefit.  If we were as honest
about cars, SUVs, snowmobiles, personal
watercraft (etc) as we are about cell phones,
that would be a good start.  We should start
thinking seriously about anything that uses
fossil fuels, for example.

Third.  If we want "the general public" to become
more aware of these issues, we need to get them
on the trail, and have confidence that the trail
itself will impart some enlightenment. We can't
bludgeon the unwashed onto paths of righteousness.

There will always be tension between these goals:
keeping the trail wild and keeping it accessible.
It needs to be both, somehow.

rafe b
aka terrapin