[at-l] On topic if you carry a cell on the trail... OT if youdont... Imp...

On 7/28/05, Rogene <wolferrae@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I'm also with Sly on this one as cell phones are rude when in face to face
> interactions the cell phone takes presidance
> over me time and time again. Is there not a way to hold calls for returing
> on a cell phone when you are face to face with me!
> 100 dollars times 12 months equals 1,200 and in two and 1/2 years time Sly
> and I will have saved enough for a pretty good through hike which  makes a
> good argument for priorities.

I'm with you both about them being rude when face to face with
someone. I went to visit a very dear friend in California whom I
hadn't seen in 6 years. She told me politely when we sat down at a
restaurant that in her neck of the woods, people turned off their cell
phones in restaurants because it was considered rude to be on it, or
have it ringing, during a meal. Then during my next visit, when we
finally got a few hours to pal around together, I'll never forget how
she picked up her cell phone time and time again to call her friends
and shoot the breeze, or took phone calls to make plans for something
else. Talk about rude. When I told her as much, she looked at me like
I had a 2x4 lodged in my head.

But I don't even keep a landline at home. My cell phone is it. I
figure if someone wants badly enough to talk to me, they'll email me,
snail mail me, come by my house, leave a note on my car, or call me at
work, unless it's one of my close friends or family that have my
number.

But really I would not plan to take my cell to the trail... to each
their own is how I view it, though. I've been reading MetroGnome's
journal and he's got both a sat phone and a laptop with him. Weird,
but whatever works for him I guess. He's already used it for an
emergency, I believe to call Pooh for help when he had heat exhaustion
(?).

Steph