[at-l] Hikin in the Heat

At 12:59 PM 7/12/2005 -0400, Joan wrote:

>Here in Florida where it hits the 90's most days between mid-May and
>mid-October, I have my own heat rules.  No backpacking when the
>temperature is going to be in the 90's (I've had heat exhaustion, near
>heatstroke, once and totally stopped sweating on another hike--that's
>enough).  I do, however, still hike.  I just do little, slow hikes (1 hour
>or less) after work.  Right now, I don't even go out until 7:30
>p.m.  Okay, it's not big miles, but it's peaceful and you still come
>across some interesting things--a coral snake, tiny frogs, the progression
>of wildflower blooms, evening bird calls, changing colors in the
>sunset.  And it is enough to get into the hiking "zone."
>
>My other personal rule is not to camp in a tent unless the night temp is
>going to 65.  Nothing makes me crabbier than a sleepless night spent lying
>in an ever-expanding pool of my own sweat in a stuffy tent.
>
>On previous vacations in dry, hot country (southern Utah, for example), I
>found that wearing a hat and using a wet bandana around my neck (or one of
>those bandana-like things filled with pellets that absorbs and hold water)
>were really helpful.  Sometimes I also dribbled water from my water bottle
>over my shirt as we hiked.  In Florida, these things just add to the
>incredible humidity, though I have been known to pour water over my head
>if I think I've getting overheated.
>
>Any other heat tips?

Bandanna and t-shirt -- dip them in a stream,
wring out, put them back on wet.  Provides some
cooling for the next hour or two.

SPF15 or 30 sunblock, if you're exposed to direct
sunlight.  Polarized sunglasses.  A hat with a brim
is good, but if it needs to be light-weight, light-colored
and breathable.

Re: tent.  It was impossible to sleep in the shelters
in NY/CT/MA on my last hike because of the bugs.
You didn't need a tent for warmth or protection from
rain -- you needed it as a bug net.  So I slept in
mine every night, with the fly up.

rafe b
aka terrapin