[at-l] LITTER

Ah. Litter! Americans fundamentally are slobs. It's part of our culture. We took a wild continent and trashed it. We've evolved into neatniks at home. Slobs in public. I have an older brother who can't stand clutter and trash. His cars are spotless. His house is spotless. He's appalled at my cluttered home; papers from projects, books, hiking gear piled everywhere.

His house isn't like that. His house is spotless. He has no papers, no gear lying around. He has no papers, no books, no gear -- well, there are his several snowmobiles. But certainly no trash. The garbage man comes several times a week. Stuff in his car goes out the window. I gave up decades ago trying to convince him not to do that. It's a compromise. He still tosses trash. Just not when I'm looking.

I'm encouraged that trails remain pretty clean. Our town land trust trails rarely have more than a gum or a candy wrapper on them.

The parking lots are a different story. Several use them for lunch breaks and "lovers lane" parking. I regularly pick up trash. Trash breeds trash. Even the parking lots stay clean if I keep every scrap picked up. If I forget for more than a day or two, the trash begins to build.

ATVs and snowmobiles are also a different story.

Wherever the machines go, litter, paper, cans, and bottles accumulate. Just dumping a bottle is never enough for a machine rider. They have to break their bottles over the nearest rock. One bit of litter per bottle is never enough. The more shards of glass the better.

Hunters and fishermen are almost as bad. A few backpackers are equally bad. But most backpackers at least keep the trails clean. They weaken -- there eyes glisten -- when they approach a fire place where a week's accumulation of soggy food scraps, they think, can be harmlessly disposed.

Weary