[at-l] LITTER

I began reflecting on my day today upon reading in Ready's trail journal the quote, "Imagine if everyone picked up just one piece of litter every day." I picked up approximately 22. I was down at the end of my driveway and someone had thrown what appeared to be a small trash bag worth of garbage onto it. Picking up the trash, I remember thinking what an annoyance it was. Go figure. Later, I went to the high school where i found 2 plastic coffee cups just sitting on the ground as I got out of my car. I went to the post office and it seemed that one of the coffee cups had followed me. Coming back from the post office, I found an actual bag of trash at the intersection I pass through just before getting to my house. Maybe it was the same moron dumping trash on my driveway. I picked all of this stuff up as I normally do. The bag was the worst as it was a bit slimey and i had to put it in my just cleaned car. The thing is that I was certainly not the first person to see the garbage
 everywhere, just the only one to pick it up. I've noticed that I rarely go out without picking up some trash somewhere. I keep my eyes open and will go out of my way to pick things up and put them in the proper receptacle. Yes, I even recycle what can be recycled. The point is that I rarely go out without finding something. This makes me wonder, do you all find things like this in your day? I realize this particular day was extreme, but not as rare as one might think. I would say that if you came home without picking up a piece of trash, and your address isn't somewhere in Shangri-la, that you need to go back out and find one before laying yourself down to rest. Honestly, if we all just paid attention and grabbed the offending matter that all would inevitably find, the problem would be greatly alleviated. Just a thought.

      -Robert

"Be the change you wish to see in the world..." --Ghandi

Yahoo! Sports