From: Leslie Booher
To: Charles Copeland ; at-l@backcountry.net
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Indoor wildlife surprise

Cottonmouths/water moccasins are a southeastern snake species - but they aren't very common.  They tend to stay near the water and love to sunbathe.
When we lived in the Mississippi Delta, cottonmouths were everywhere.  When our son was young, he used to go out in a rowboat with his friend.  The friend would try to net turtles, fish, muskrats, and other things.  Joshua's job was to hold an oar to whack cottonmouths, should they appear.

I remember going to church camp along the Mississippi River banks and having cottonmouths there.  I certainly wouldn't rate them "uncommon".  To me, they were ubiquitous.  They were part of the scenery.

anklebear