The ATC -- [Was: Re: [at-l] Re: A Walk in the Woods]

This is one life member who has been (and is still) considering asking to be
removed from the membership list.

Maybe I should wait to see who else gets fired and/or what other changes come
about.

Maybe I'll wait to see how Solar Bear's report, "that the 'new' ATC will
support and honor the incredible work of the clubs and the volunteer
maintainers" works out.

However, somehow I have missed that in what I have received in the mail.

Also, the structure of four new functional directors Finance, Conservation,
Membership & Development and Communications seems to be sending a message
total emphasis on fund raising, PR, bureaucratic/institutional growth, etc.

I see a future patterned on the AMC, PATC, etc -- where "members" expect to
buy "something" for cash w/o ever touching a tool, or investing sweat equity.
What is the Conservatory's goal for how many of the 100,000 members will
actually do a day of volunteer work -- at either the ATC, or Club level?  I
see the tighter focus on policy and fundraising.  Where is the "tighter focus"
on increasing the volunteer seasonal crews, increasing hours of work at the
Club level, etc?

I fear that one of the great success stories of volunteers is being sold out.

Ah King Arthur, we must build a new catapult to collect and throw money at the
problem.

Hope I am wrong.

Chainsaw