[at-l] Re: A Walk in the Woods

"The slim chance of that already passed. ?He was on the agenda as a
feature speaker at a previous Gathering, but the myopia (and
bloodlust) of a segment of the membership chased him away. ?As he was
living in Hanover at the time, the logistics were easy, but we blew
it."

People at the Gathering had a variety of opinions about the book, but my impression was that it was largely a friendly crowd that gathered to hear Bryson speak. I didn't detect either myopia or bloodlust.

Bryson agreed only reluctantly to speak -- probably because he knew his book had almost nothing to do with the Appalachian Trail or long distance hiking -- and then simply didn't show up at the scheduled time.

We sat around for awhile. Finally word came that Bryson wasn't going to show. So we discussed the book in his absence. I sensed the pro-Bryson folks were clearly in the majority. There was about as much chance of an unpleasant confrontation as there is at a typical AT shelter on a rainy night. Folks would have asked some tough questions. I suspect that is why Bryson didn't show. He had no answers.

Once one gets beyond the stereotypes and humor, the book struck me as based more on library research than long distance hiking. I sensed Bryson didn't like hiking and didn't like the people he met on the trail and didn't relish spending an hour talking to them, so he chose not to do so.

Talk of "bloodlust" is sheer nonsense.

Weary