[at-l] Re: A Walk in the Woods

Weary wrote:

"Once one gets beyond the stereotypes and humor, the book struck me as
based more on library research than long distance hiking. I sensed
Bryson didn't like hiking and didn't like the people he met on the
trail and didn't relish spending an hour talking to them, so he chose
not to do so."

You "sensed?"  How did you do this?  How many books of Bryson's have
you read?  Do you understand his style which is a common thread
throughout all his books?  Did you catch his self-deprecation? And
disclaimers?  Can you step into the shoes of a best selling author
moving from project to project with limited time to devote to each?
He was researching and writing a book, not on a thruhike pilgrimmage.
If you would read his other books, you would "sense" that he doesn't
much like travel and adventure at all, yet his entire career belies
the surface inference.

I sense that Redford and Newman have found the ideal project for their
swan song.  And I sense that the trail community will be much better
for it, despite the objections of some grumpy hikers.  I can't wait to
see the movie!  Here's hoping it becomes another classic.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear