[at-l] Re: A Walk in the Woods

Skylander wrote (speaking of Bryson):

"I think he would make a great speaker at ALDHA's Gathering in  October.  He
would draw a crowd."

The slim chance of that already passed.  He was on the agenda as a
feature speaker at a previous Gathering, but the myopia (and
bloodlust) of a segment of the membership chased him away.  As he was
living in Hanover at the time, the logistics were easy, but we blew
it.

He lampooned the British Isles savagely in "Notes from a Small
Island."  That he is transferring his citizenship to Great Britain
says a lot about the ability of Brits to take a joke.  Would that we,
too, could enjoy the therapy to laugh at ourselves and our hiking
passion as well.

I can tell you that the board and staff of the ATC know an opportunity
($$$) when they see one and will do everything possible to assist with
the making of this film.  This is very exciting!  Redford and Newman
(and Bryson) could be a huge factor in the upcoming ATC capital
campaign.  The Trail needs all the exposure it can get, because it
faces tremendous challenges, and much money will be required to
preserve the Trail for future generations of hikers.  When the
campaign starts, we'll all need to be as generous as we can.

(Not much has happened since I left.  I think we were discussing the
book back then!)

Happy trails,

Solar Bear