[at-l] OT - German Spam

--- Nightwalker <Nightwalker_AT@charter.net> wrote:
> Well, unfortunately, the AT-L mailing list is harvestable. I'm not going to
> tell how, but I accidentally found the whole thing while poking around. I'm
> sitting here looking at 597 real email addresses right now. Only 40 people
> on that list chose to keep their address private.
>
> Both of my AT--L addys are getting the German stuff, but I don't know if any
> other addresses are. I'll keep my eyes open to see if those two are the only
> ones.
>
> This stinks!

-------------------------

Back in the olden times before telephone answering machines and "Do Not Call"
lists, I used to get phone calls from people selling stuff.  I figured they
made their money by selling, not by talking so I'd deliberately waste their
time.

My SPAM usually goes into a "Bulk" folder to be deleted whenever.  If they want
to waste their resources emailing me that's just fine.

I'm guessing, but it seems to me that people like AOL and Yahoo could save a
lot of disk space by noticing that all those emails are identical and saving
just one copy for all the millions who receive them.

It's an odd thought (to me) but they could also save a lot of bandwidth if
they'd offer the SPAMmers a convenient way to send their stuff--one letter and
a mailing list.
It's another case where "legalizing" annoying or harmful behaviour could lead
to improvement.

JestBill  Ga--->Me '03

Yahoo! Mail