[at-l] PSA

On 4/12/05 12:41 PM, "Bob C" <ellen@clinic.net> wrote:

> Most prostate cancers are slow growing and never do any harm.
> All prostate "cures" have side effects that decrease the quality of life,
> sometimes greatly.

Yes, this is true -- "most" prostate cancers are like this. Last year, my
father had the other kind. Very aggressive, very bad numbers, but a surgeon
at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia was willing to try laparoscopic
surgery *only* because my father, at age 68, still ran 5 miles a day, and he
was in shape to survive the surgery. The tumor was still confined to the
prostate, and the surgery was successful. Yes, there are unfortunate side
effects. Yes, most prostate tumors are slow growing. But I still get my PSA
test every year now. I'd rather have the information and be able to evaluate
it with the help of my physician.

Cheers,

Ken