[at-l] Another newbie's first post

Welcome to the campfire.

Pull up a log & join in.

Hey, whoever has the smashmallows, pass em over.

Chainsaw

BTW -- We are a group of friends who are rather like a campfire -- we tend
to talk about a lot of things and forget that new folk to the campfire
missed part of the earlier conversation.  So, we are not likely to bring up
a subject, unless something, or someone, brings it to mind.  And, at any
particular time, a member, with just the right answer for you might be off
list, hiking or whatever.

So, don't just sit back a listen, expecting subjects to just come up, or limit
yourself to the question/answers that come up currently.

There is an archive at

http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/at-l/

or

http://www.backcountry.net/arch/at

If you can't find enough discussion, or an answer there, ask a question.
If you don't get enough responses the first time you ask, ask again.  I
suspect some folk miss the questions, or hold off when they have no major
opinions on most of a group of questions, etc.

Also, IMHO, you tend to get better answers to single questions with an
indicator of the question in the subject line, rather than very broad
questions, which are hard for folk to get a hand around.