[at-l] PSA

This is not an either or situation. There are pluses and minuses on both sides of PSA tests. Most prostate cancers are slow growing and never do any harm. All prostate "cures" have side effects that decrease the quality of life, sometimes greatly.

The number of false positives and follow up tests from PSA costs billions of dollars annually and do very little to prolong life. Cures and attempted cures of prostate cancers cost additional billions, and help make our medical system the most unequal and costly among the industrialized world.

For these and other reasons I refused the test when it first became popular. Later a friend of mine became ill at a relatively young age and I watched him die, bloated and confined to a wheel chair. After discussions with my doctor, I decided to have the tests for a few years.

Last summer at my annual physical, I asked the doctor about what the test had shown. He said, I didn't do one. I don't do them for people your age. I said, "good, I agree." He asked me why. I told him what I've told you above. He said, "you're right."

Weary