[at-l] Re: (no subject)

At 09:03 AM 4/12/2005 -0400, Bob C wrote:
>In a discussion among actual long distance and thru hikers on WhiteBlaze,
>probably the most active AT site these days, a large majority of those who
>responded thought Wingfoot's Guide was by far the better book, mostly
>because it contains more information. His Thru-Hikers Guide contains all
>the essential information of the ATC databook. The Companion does not.
>Wise people do not let their dislike of Wingfoot's politics interfere with
>their trail decisions. Long distance hiking is difficult enough without
>adding political complications.
>?
>Weary

So is it "political" to support those who support the trail you walk?
Information is information. You can carry the Data Book and the Companion
and support ATC/ALDHA who support the trail or you can carry the Handbook
and support Dan Bruce. As Publications Chair for ADK I know that sale of
Guidebooks is a significant source of income for groups such as ATC. I
don't dislike Dan but I do dislike the idea of people publishing competing
guidebooks that siphon off dollars from the groups that provide us with
trails. I especially dislike those who started out doing a guidebook for
the organization then went out on their own using what they learned while
working for the organization. Call it politics if you want. I call it
putting your money where your boot prints are. You may rationalize it
otherwise if you want.