From: <Bror8588@aol.com>
To: <ellen@clinic.net>; <Trailwife@aol.com>; <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Re: (no subject)

In a message dated 4/12/2005 9:04:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

In a  discussion among actual long distance and thru hikers on WhiteBlaze,
probably  the most active AT site these days, a large majority of those who
responded  thought Wingfoot's Guide was by far the better book, mostly
because it
contains more information. His Thru-Hikers Guide contains all the essential
information of the ATC databook. The Companion does not. Wise people do not
let their dislike of Wingfoot's politics interfere with their trail
decisions.
Long distance hiking is difficult enough without adding political
complications

It is a curious thing that the AT has this dual approach to  information.
Surely anyone can produce a guide -- The Free Enterprise  System -- but I
have
heard (to be verified by those who may know) that Dan Bruce  (Wingfoot) gets
his information from the ATC without paying a royalty or  copyright fee and
then
competes with that organization for customers.  Is  this true? And if it is
-- isn't it time that some changes should be made in the  arrangement?

Skylander