[at-l] Hiking in West Virginia

Check out the Allegheny Trail: http://www.aldha.org/alleghen.htm -- BTW (not
to be confused with the Allegheny Highlands Trail, which runs from Cumberland,
MD to Pittsburgh, PA.)

The 330-mile Allegheny Trail's northern terminus is on the West
Virginia-Pennsylvania border near Bruceton Mills. Its southern terminus is at
the Appalachian Trail on Peters Mountain, north of Pearisburg, Virginia.
Which is on the New River.

The Allegheny Trail is divided into four sections, from north to south.
Section 1 starts at the Pennsylvania line and ends at Blackwater Falls State
Park. Section 2 starts at Blackwater Falls State Park and ends at the Cass
Scenic Railroad. Section 3 goes from Cass to County Road 14 in Greenbrier
County. Section 4 is incomplete, although two segments are open and available
for backpacking. The trail is open from the southern terminus of section 3 to
Interstate 64, where it breaks and picks up again at Laurel Branch in Monroe
County, ending on Peters Mountain at the Appalachian Trail. Trail highlights
include Blackwater Falls State Park, Canaan Valley State Park, the National
Radio Astronomy Observatory, Cass Scenic Railroad, and Watoga State Park. The
trail also crosses the Monongahela, George Washington and Jefferson National
Forests, and it goes along the scenic Greenbrier River. The Allegheny Trail is
marked by 2"x 6" yellow blazes. It is maintained by the volunteers of the West
Virginia Scenic Trails Association.

Chainsaw

BTW -- Our own Chase is one of the thruhikers of this trail.

BTW2 -- Where are they coming from?   I assume that, "Stop and hike around the
Grayson Highlands area prior to our arrival in WV" means you are coming from
the south or south east.  If so, you are likely to be comingh up I-81 and will
cross the AT somewhere in the area of Blane to Pearisburg.  There is good
hiking in that area also -- albeit not "in" West Virginia, some is along the
Virginia/West-by-God line.

BTW3 -- Also, check out http://www.nps.gov/rtca/whatwedo/projects/04pr-wv.html