[at-l] Hiking plans down the tubes

At 01:02 PM 3/22/2005 -0500, Steve Landis wrote:
>Jim Bullard wrote:
>
>>The main  (read that as "most expensive") problem is internal slippage in
>>the transmission. At this point it means it is burning too much gas and
>>eventually it may well quit working. I could get it rebuilt for $400-500
>>less but that would be with a 30 day warrantee rather than a 3 year
>>warrantee on a new one. The truck has only 70K on the odometer and is in
>>otherwise great condition so it is worth fixing properly.
>
>My daily driver has 214k on it. Transmission slips and even makes a
>growling noise for over a year now, runs great on the highway.  It can be
>seen with up to 5 kayaks on the roof racks at times.  The check engine
>light has been lit for 6 mos.  Passed emissions testing last Sept at
>inspection. Now admittedly I have other vehicles to rely on but I'm riding
>this one to the end of the line.
>FYI I just put a used transmission (with 80K on it) in a Jeep Wrangler
>(with 100K on it)for half of what a new (read rebuilt) would have cost and
>that included milling the flywheel and a new clutch.
>As always YMMV!
>
>Steve

Apparently the inspection rules are different where you are. Under the new
NYS rules (effective this year), if there are un-repaired problems that
effect emissions, the vehicle will *not* pass inspection. Now they did
throw in a limitation of $450 meaning that if I spend over $450 and it
still doesn't pass I can skate though another year but I'd have to spend
another $450 or more toward getting it fixed to have it pass the next year,
etc. Unfortunately I don't see a way to repair part of the transmission
without fixing the whole thing. I thought about trading it but I already
owe more money than I like to besides that doesn't fit into my long term
plans. As I told Shane, I'll pout over it for a while but it ain't that
bad. I have mountains only 40 or so miles South that I can get to less
expensively and the AT isn't going away in the next year or two. By 2 years
from now I'll be getting Social Security and I'll have enough money for a
thru if I decide to do one instead of section hiking it.