[at-l] Hiking plans down the tubes

Jim Bullard wrote:

> The main  (read that as "most expensive") problem is internal slippage
> in the transmission. At this point it means it is burning too much gas
> and eventually it may well quit working. I could get it rebuilt for
> $400-500 less but that would be with a 30 day warrantee rather than a 3
> year warrantee on a new one. The truck has only 70K on the odometer and
> is in otherwise great condition so it is worth fixing properly.

My daily driver has 214k on it. Transmission slips and even makes a
growling noise for over a year now, runs great on the highway.  It can
be seen with up to 5 kayaks on the roof racks at times.  The check
engine light has been lit for 6 mos.  Passed emissions testing last Sept
at inspection. Now admittedly I have other vehicles to rely on but I'm
riding this one to the end of the line.
FYI I just put a used transmission (with 80K on it) in a Jeep Wrangler
(with 100K on it)for half of what a new (read rebuilt) would have cost
and that included milling the flywheel and a new clutch.
As always YMMV!

Steve