[at-l] Wildlife sightings this weekend

On Mar 20, 2005, at 10:02 PM, Nightwalker wrote:

> Hey!
>
> I think I encountered a bobcat on a night hike (duh) about two hikes
> ago.
> Wide-set, orange-reflecting eyes, low to the ground. When I saw him, I
> first
> spoke gently, then gruffly, with no response. Then I clacked my
> trekking
> poles together and he flew away at a high rate of speed, but without
> much
> noise.

All you saw was eyes?  Could have been anything.  Porky, raccoon,
groundhog, Maine Coon..

I was out camping with my dog in Shenandoah a couple of years, and had
my tarp set up open on three sides.   The dog wouldn't settle down.
Finally I turned on my flashlight and shone it around, and at least a
dozen pair of eyes at various heights looked back at me.  Quite the
shocker.  They weren't bothering anything though, so I checked to make
sure the dog was still securely tied and went back to sleep.  :)

-amy