[at-l] Need Powerpoint HELP for trail slide show NOW

I was asked to show my AT backpacking photos at a trail club mtg.
So over the past weeks I scanned slides/photos and carefully
cropped a lot of horizontal ones into vertical format so they'd
show up more in the shape of a vertical projection screen
(the screens are more tall than wide, right?).  My media
 advisors at the library said the next step was to pull
the images into Powerpoint.  But the Powerpoint slide format is
a HORIZONTAL window! Does that mean I can only use the center half of
the window?  I've got about 500-600 images to create before 5pm
Tuesday and I need an answer like NOW.  So all you folks--I know
you're out there--who've done this, give me a shout. ~~ eArThworm
PS When I finish this thing, can the Powerpoint slide show be burned
to a DVD so that the typed "notes" show up? or even without them?