[at-l] springtime southern cold

No, but I know what of you speak, albeit not where of -- as in Tug Hill
Plateau.

This goes back a few years.  I was clearing deadfalls following a late season
ice-storm, back in the day when I bivy camped.  When night came the wind was
from the south-west.  I found a nice sheltered spot to the lee of some cover,
rigged my small tarp to protect my head and gear, and went to sleep.

Wind at dark ---->
                              <---- Wind by morning
      #
    # #      ___
  ####   /     ______
##### / & /o-<-<=  \
   ^     ^        ^
   ^     ^         Me in my bivy
   ^      Tarp and gear
   Heavy brush

It began to snow and drift.  The brush and tarp acted as a snow-fence and
dropped blowing snow on me, as I slept all cozy in my bivy.

As the low passed over and the wind swung around 180*, blowing the drifting
snow back up under the tarp, over my gear and my head. A bit before light, I
awoke.  Claustrophobic!  The mound, which my head was under, was less that two
feet (which wasn't all that heavy), but it was a major shock/scare, until I
dug my self out.  Even by flash light, I could see how little snow had
actually fallen, I was amazed that I could have rigged just the right set-up
to dump a mound right on top of my head and my gear.  There was less than a
couple inches at my feet.  Most of the clearing was nearly bare.  There was
just this little mound where my head had been and all my gear was still
buried.

It took most of the morning to find all my personal camping gear, chainsaw,
etc. and get the H out of there.

Chainsaw