[at-l] springtime southern cold

At 07:50 PM 3/5/2005 -0500, David Hicks wrote:
>Conversely, when there is no wind, the cold air settles. Then the hollows &
>many of the places, which would have been good shelter from the wind become
>the very places into which the cold air settles.  Also, if the day has been
>one of those cold sunny days in the center of a high pressure area, those
>very
>sheltered areas may well have been shaded, whereas that open high ridge was
>warmed all day by the sun.  Ever heard the weather forecaster call for
>"...frost in the colder valleys tonight", in the Fall?

Jeesh Chainsaw, I wasn't talking about going *all the way down* the
mountain, just out of the wind. OTOH if you're up to going all the way down
there may be a nice warm hostel or motel in the cold, cold valley. :)
Seriously though, I was talking about finding a windbreak. Pitching your
tent on the lee side of a shelter would work if the foundation was skirted
so the wind didn't come underneath.