[at-l] springtime southern cold

."...we miss the idea that just a few feet down into a bowl like depression, or just a couple hundred feet down into a cove can actually be colder."

My house and garden is right on the edge of a broad tidal estuary, three miles from the open ocean. The "rule" here is that the vast expanse of water moderates my temperatures. Not so. Why. On the opposite side of my house is a steep hill connected to a long ridge maybe 80-100 feet above the estuary.

The guy on the top of the hill is still eating sweet corn two, sometimes three weeks, after mine has wilted and browned from repeated frosts. The cold just swirls off the high ground and collects exactly on top of my corn, tomatoes and cucumbers.

Weary