[at-l] stink

At 11:00 PM 3/2/2005 -0500, David A Jones wrote:
>I'm reading David Jessop's FT journal, and he mentions that his pack
>smells like rotting garbage.  He's too embarassed to take it into a
>restaurant with him, and hides it in a trash can.  I recall other hikers
>complaining of musty tents.  I can well imagine that tents have a habit of
>staying wet for long times, and get moldy in the pack.  Do packs and tents
>respond well to conventional laundering?  I imagine there is room in the
>machine for a smelly pack, but I imagine a tent responds better to manual
>wiping.  I've noticed a special product at Campmor (sounds useful to me,
>but is a bit expensive):
>http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7638027
>Does anyone on the list think they successful odor abatement program
>they'd like to share?

Some time back someone here suggested taking the offending piece of
equipment and burying it in the ground for several days then digging it up
and washing it. Something about the bacteria in the soil devouring the
stuff that caused the odor. Of course that isn't possible here at present.
I could bury it in snow or for that matter just throw it outside and let
Mama Nature bury it in snow. From the description of that product at
Campmor it appears to be doing much the same thing using enzymes to devour
the stinkies and what price is reasonable for smelling better? Remember the
ad for underarm deodorant with Hulk Hogan painting a dainty watercolor and
advising that "one should not offend"? :)