[at-l] Am I overpacking?

On Feb 5, 2005, at 9:25 AM, Jim and/or Ginny Owen wrote:

> Probably (overdoing it, that is) - BUT ---- I remember some really
> cold nights (and days) through that part of the Trail.  In terms of
> weather, the southern mountains are NOT the same as the southern coast
> or Atlanta.  I remember sleet, hail and ice storms.  Along with some
> snow and a lot of rain.  And a few 80* days.

Heck, hiking in the less altitudinous NC and VA in May, I've
encountered snow, sleet, and nights well under freezing.  :)

> Remember - you'll spend some considerable time at 4000 to 5000 ft
> elevation.  And the weather at 4000+ ft is a lot different than one
> might expect of "The South."

I'm pretty much packing as if I'll encounter the same weather I've been
hiking through here at home this winter.  Think winter at sea level is
comparable to spring storms at 4000 feet?

-amy