Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:18:36 -0500
From: "Shelly Hale" <shellydhale@earthlink.net>
Subject: [at-l] The Grits that went a northern ruckin'...
To: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
....had a blast!  What a great way to spend my first trip across the Mason Dixon
Line!  The PAruck was so much fun...here are a just a few high lights....From Rcalkins at worldbank.org  Wed Feb  2 06:44:21 2005
From: Rcalkins at worldbank.org (Rcalkins@worldbank.org)
Date: Wed Feb  2 07:16:26 2005
Subject: [at-l] PA Ruck Food tastings.....Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup

Marsha:

      Herewith the recipe, for which, as you know, I can take no credit:

Slice up a pound of kielbasa;
Slice and dice three onions;
Saute the kielbasa and onions together until the onions are translucent;
Add a half a head of shredded cabbage, and continue sauteing until cabbage is
soft;
Add two cans of cream of celery soup and two cans of milk;
Add one can of crisp sweet corn;
Cook, stirring occasionally, until piping hot.

      I asked "She-who-knows-me-best-but-still-loves-me" about the ethnic
origins of the dish, and she replied that it was not due to any particular
ancestral heritage, but simple a result of one of her periodic "tuckerizations"
of the fridge.

      For a description of the Chef, for those who might be interested, see my
pre-hike posting #14 on tj.com.

cheers,
Longhaul

                      Marsha
                      <atrailhiker@adel        To:       Leslie Booher <lbooher@pure.net>, at-l@backcountry.net
                      phia.net>                cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [at-l] PA Ruck Food tastings.....
                      at-l-bounces@back
                      country.net

                      02/01/2005 10:47
                      AM

Leslie Booher wrote:

> OK, please post the recipe for the kielbasa and cabbage soup to the
> list.  I'm intrigued now.  anklebear

Anklebear, it was heavenly. I just emailed Longhaul so he can post the
recipe himself.  Speaking of sausage, Steve Landis brought an Italian
sausage and pasta casserole that was incredible. The sausage melted in
your mouth.  Other fine dishes.......David Jones' multi-grain waffles,
Sparky's meat chili, Phil's bean burgers, Mouse's ham & pineapple pizza,
and a homemade corn & blackbean salsa brought in by Goosebump's friend
(??), Stitches brownies were addictive.  There were too many dishes and
desserts to mention-I'm sure you've been there - but guess what????
There wasn't any deviled eggs :)

Marsha