[at-l] Osprey Aether 60

Frank, do you like the Osprey Aether 60?  That's what I finished my thru-hike
with, from Bland, Virginia, on, and I had a lot of back pain.  I've been
meaning to ask the collected assembly about it, actually.  I started with an
eight-year-old LLBean pack, the only pack I'd ever hiked with, and it tore my back
to pieces.  (I was carrying about 30 pounds.)  I traded at Kincora for one of
the packs Bob had there, a Lowe Alpine.  It was actually pretty good, and I
was getting rid of some of my winter gear, so I was lightening up.  Then someone
offered to sell me their Aether for $100, a Tall, and a lot of people
(including about three outfitters) had theorized that the problem with my back was
that my pack was too short for me.

I'm 5'10" and have a long torso.  So I decided it was a good deal and went
for it.  Unfortunately, it was a 2003, and the left lumbar support bar broke
through its leather harness, completely unbalancing my load and digging into my
side.  They've since reinforced the spot in the new design.

Anyway, I traded it out in Harpers Ferry, but still had back problems.  At it
s lightest, with full food, my pack only weighed 19.2, and was under thirty
even when I got all my winter gear back, so I know it's not weight.  Which
leaves me with three theories:
1.  I screwed up my back with the first pack, and now there's something
irreconcilably wrong with it.
2.  The Osprey was just as bad for my back, either because it didn't fit, or
because it wasn't a female pack.
3.  My back muscles (traps and lats) are too weak.

Did anyone else have a problem with serious back pain on the trail?  I'm
planning a PCT thru-hike for this summer, and I'm planning to take the Osprey,
mainly because I have no money to experiment with.  And I have no health
insurance to see a doctor.  Any advice?  Could it be a lack of back strength?  Or do I
need a new pack?  And if I do, how do I find one that fits?

Marzipan
AT04