[at-l] Osprey Aether 60

> Frank, do you like the Osprey Aether 60?  That's what I finished my
thru-hike
> with, from Bland, Virginia, on, and I had a lot of back pain.

I've only hiked a couple of short hikes with it, but I really like it a lot.
I put 15-20 pounds in it and hiked a 4-mile loop trail with it a couple of
days in a row, so it's no test of distance or weight, but it really weirded
me out because it felt like it just wasn't there! It's the first pack that
really let me transfer weight to my hips and balance things out, and the
shoulder straps are ridiculously wide. I also like the very strange
suspension system, which I don't completely understand yet.

What Jim B. said about ground pads probably should be considered. I got
lucky and found a semi-lightweight solution. I had cut my ridgerest off to
3/4 length to fit under my thermarest for car camping, but for reasons that
I don't remember, I tried putting the cut-off 1/4 of the ridgerest under my
hips--which is where ground-sleeping bothers me. BAM. I started sleeping all
night. No soreness in the morning either. Before you try cutting one up,
just fold it, but it worked really well for me, and I'm probably just about
exactly middle aged (45 on 3-3).

Frank