[at-l] Cell Phones -- Perception

In a message dated 1/17/05 11:02:30 Eastern Standard Time,
rickboudrie@hotmail.com writes:

> Perhaps phones get too much of the blame.  Still, I can't figure out why so
> many fail to see how their wide-spread presence changes (at least a bit) the
> wonderful feeling of isolation that the woods can provide.

First, I will state that I do carry a cell phone with me.  Being over 50, I
keep it turned off until I want to make a call (as opposed to the younger aged
group that leaves it on all the time to receive contact with their circle of
friends).

Second, I understand completely the frustration of those who want to enjoy
the silence of the woods but find their quiet time interrupted by voices raised
to be heard on bad cell phone connections and talking about trivia and such.
Even in the city on trains when one is attempting to get a little shuteye the
raised voices of the inconsiderate disturb the solitude of those reading,
resting, or in quiet conversation with their companions.

If everyone adopted Russ' practice of cell phone usage the trail would be a
place where cell phones were unseen, and unheard convenience.  There are many
who practice this mode of usage.  Oh, sometime a person can be seen using a
cell and the sight of that intrusion of modernity on the trail seems to irritate
some, but that is a visual annoyance equal to bright colors (oops, I also wear
a red jacket when hiking).

Skylander