[at-l] OT - Fun Site

>>Not so, my friend. I was very much draft age during
the >>Vietnam War and  ended up in the Army in 1964

Safe to say though, the Vietnamn war did not really
ramp up in terms of recruitment until the late 60s.

1969 started the first really big draft (300,000
people) as well as the implementing of the new lottery
system. Suspect (I honestly don't know), that many
later recruits had less leeway than yourself, esp.
when the need for infantry was esp. felt.  Kinda like
today's sceanrio. The bonuses are being paid for
infantry, transport and other high risk (and
criticially needed) roles only.

 And, a person born in 1936 would be 28 yo in 1964,
again too old for the target age (18-24) for
recruiting. By 1969, the peak of Vietnamn recruiting,
our 1936 born person would be 33 yo.

If you are born on the cusp of a generation (according
to census data), you could be draftable age for the
initial buildup but not for the peak. (In 1969, those
born in 1945 would be 24. Maybe, just maybe, they'd
get "lucky" and be drafted).

Anyway, it was a good theory on why you are in the
"Lucky generation", but needs some tweaking. :-)

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com