[at-l] Did somebody say Spandex?

>"...I also love
Patagonia and try to support them whenever possible, but when it's a tradeoff between
money spent towards a good cause and money spent towards a thruhike, it's a
tough call."

Patagonia has good things and makes significant donations to environmental causes, but their prices tend to be non competitive. However, the outlet in Maine has half price sales a couple of times a year. If I notice their ads I always try to pick up something.

I know cotton is a no no for most. But my favorite shorts are 100 percent cotton purchased during Patagonia sales over the past 2 or 3 years. The Freeport, Maine store periodically closes down for meetings on environmental matters. The last time I attended one, I won the door prize, a $240 rain jacket. It was designed for wealthy fishermen to use and is a bit too heavy for long distance backpacking, but is a wonderful garment for day hikes and weekend backpacks.

My Patagonia shorts allow maximum flow of air and I think they are ideal for summer hiking. The only thing bad about the sales is that the store is totally mobbed, so if you don't know precisely what you want they can be a hassle.

Weary