[at-l] SORUCK fundraiser...

Well, you haven't heard from me in a long time
and I'm not plannting to be at the SoRuck (but I
believe Spur is planning to attend, probably with
some of our goodies for the silent sale).
Nevertheless, I'd like to chime in about the
potential recipient of the donations. I'm all for
keeping it with the hiking community and I
especially like the idea of finding a children's
organization/group.

There are many YMC/JA's with camps and/or outdoor
programs for kids. - serving both boys and girls.
If anyone knows of such a Y near their home,
perhaps they can offer it up as the beneficiary.
There's a camp (not Y-related) practically next
to the AT in Pawling, NY -- Holiday Hills is its
name, I believe.  It's right on Route 22, less
than 2 miles south of the RR crossing.

(No, it's not the camp for which I had been the
director, but I was part of the ACA's accredition
team that evaluated their program in '99 and I
was immensely impressed with them, so much so
that I made many addtional visits to learn about
how they did things there.) If folks like the
idea, I would be happy to explore further, get
names/addresses, etc.

As an aside:
I'm touched that Pittsburgh thought of this
terrible disaster and agree that it deserves the
attention of each of us in whatever way we feel
appropriate. As to what groups you can trust for
a personal donation to the tsunami disaster
relief recovery efforts, I am familiar with most
of the ones suggested and think they're all fine.
It may come as no surprise to those who know me
that this quaker/25+ -year vet of ARC fully
supports the Friends Service Committee and the
American Red Cross for their great work. At the
last evaluation, I believe it was determined that
 ARC uses $.92 of every dollar for direct
services.

The ARC is my choice despite the bad press
received over 9/11, where the facts offered up to
the public by the press were patently unfounded.

(If this interests you and you can tolerate my
passionate rants on the subject, you may email me
off-list. 'Wouldn't want this to become a long,
drawn-out thread on at-l, since it is clearly OFF
TOPIC.)

Ready