[at-l] Sam's Gap -> Damascus 11/26 Day 12

11/26 Friday
Location - Carol & Al's in Waynesville, NC
25426 steps.  10 AT miles

I awoke at Abington Gap after a calm evening. There was a bit of wind but
very clear with a very full moon. Of course, this led to still having wet
clothes and frozen condensation inside the tent. As I began to sort my
things and prepare for the final day, I heard 2 hunters wander thru the Gap
on their way, saying hello only after I called out. They were walking from
McQueen Gap and had an early start. On the other hand, I took my time and
left about 8AM.

As I walked north, I found the hunters "sitting" separately on a "break" by
the AT. The appearance was that they were hunting from the ridge, a very
bad practice. About 4 miles into the walk, I met 2 SOBO's, Lucky and
Tripper. I warned them of the hunters. Both of them had on blaze orange
caps. They were in the midst of a 40 mile slackpack to Hampton/US 321,
where I started Wednesday. Yes, that was forty, 40, one plus thirty nine
miles. They were on schedule.

There were 3 day hikers enjoying sun and snacks at Backbone Rock Trail
junction. Two more hunters were a mile further, obviously hunting from the
trail and expecting no interference on this long weekend. I warned them of
day hikers in the area.

The miles burned by quickly, as this was a gentle downhill trail. about
11:30, my cell phone rang as Martha left a Thanksgiving message and I had a
signal. I called her back. She was upset to hear my menu yesterday, even if
I enjoyed it. I knew that Damascus, like Hot Springs, has little cell
signal. I call my mother to let her know I was less than an hour away from
the completion of this walk.

In the distance was Mt. Rogers, snow covering the summit. It is probably my
next target. I wish I could hit it now, but I need to get home and back to
the world.

The walk to Damascus was uneventful. I didn't go blind. I gained no great
insights beyond the need to learn and be whom I am. I think I knew that a
while back.

Mt Rogers Outfitters handed me a towel as a shower was included in the
parking fee - $2 per day. It wasn't as hot and hard a shower as Kincora,
but it was just as welcome. I also got a few more "before and after" photos.

I was advised to go to Dot's Tavern for food and drink. I saw the sign at
the Dairy King and thought they had truth in advertising in VA. They only
had soft serve and not frozen custard as the sign read. Still, the cheese
burger, onion rings and tea were good. I drove south toward Hampton,
Elizabethtown and Erwin sober, full and clean. I made a point to stop in
Erwin and visited the offices of the Erwin Record. One of my favorite
Rotarian's wife is from that little town. They visit frequently and have
been featured in the paper several times. The editor was a 30-something
Rotarian - not the grey head that I expected. I thanked him for their
friendship, learned a bit more of Erwin's history, picked up some Tennessee
Travelers to take to Jim and Margaret Ann, as they were featured on yet
another front page. They were having an apple picnic on the grounds of the
fish hatchery headquarters. I envy their 57 years of wedded bliss.

Ms Janet's was empty, although her van was parked out front. I wrote a note
on her board and headed toward Carolina. I was sad as I've enjoyed the
Public Radio in Tennessee with great blue grass and country music.

I met my sister and her husband at Fat Buddy's in Waynesville for supper. I
had my first beer in over a week along with some of the best ribs known to
civilization. We drove through town to see their Christmas lights, and I
was sorely tempted to stop at MAST General and check out their sales. We
got back to their home and watched way too much TV regarding God, homicide
or both. I stayed up too late, further proving that Thomas Edison was the
AntiChrist. With the invention of the electric light, we all stay up far
past the time Nature intended for us.

Carol helped me clean gear and clothing. The sleeping bag dried and fluffed
up well, but I've got problems with the zipper at the foot of the bag.

I hope to get an early start in the morning and pick up an NC spruce or fir
Christmas tree to take home. I wonder when I'll get back up to Mt. Rogers?

OrangeBug