[at-l] New trail from Springer

You're right, Chase.  It's definitely worth repeating!

Great pics-btw!  Loved the graveyard with everyone taking a "rest".  LOL

The BMT extension is expected to be completed during the Summer 2005.  When
completed, it will form a 275-mile figure-eight loop that will hook up with
the AT at Springer on the south end and at Davenport Gap in GSMNP on the
northern end.  Currently, there will only be 1 shelter on the trail on
private property in Georgia to maintain its primitive state.

Current work days are Monday, Wednesday, & Fridays.  If anyone would like to
obtain updates on the trail maintenance schedule you can go to the BMTA
website at www.bmta.org or you can email Ken Jones at mkjones@comcast.net .
Ken can include you on the email distributions for work reports.  Typically,
they meet on the workdays (M, W, F) at 8:00 am at Hardee's on Hwy 411 in
Etowah, TN to head out to the trail.

In June and August they held weeklong work trips.  However, I do not know if
they are planning anymore trips of that duration again, but I'll post an
update on this if I find anything out.   If you do not live in the area but
would like to come in to help out, email me offlist and I'll see what
accommodations we can rustle up for ya.

I do know that they are asking folks to come down and hike the sections that
have been completed because it makes their maintenance trips much easier.
There is a map of the trail including the original 93 miles plus the
185-mile extension.  Also, "Hiking the Benton MacKaye Trail" by Tim Homan is
a wonderful resource for hiking the BMT.  It is available from Peachtree
Publishers for $15.95 at www.peachtree-online.com .

Also, they are looking for folks in North Carolina and Tennessee to become
new members of the BMTA that can help to maintain the newly built sections
of the trail in the Nantahala and Cherokee national forests as well as the
Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  Check out the website to join!

In February this year, Blondie and I went on a work trip on the BMT.  It was
great fun.  I learned a lot from the folks that went that day.  To see a few
pics of that trip go to
http://gallery.backcountry.net/BMT-Trail-Extension~2-2004

Shelly Hale