[at-l] Negative stress on the trail...

Hello everyone!  Hope that you are having a great day!

I have been talking to Southwalker about stress on the trail.  We all know that being out there can be very much a psychological game.  Oftentimes, we defeat ourselves in certain aspects.  I have listed below some very good points that Southwalker listed as negative stresses on the trail.

My question to you is this--what is your greatest negative stress point?  What really drives you insane and interferes with your hike mentally?  (Please note in your response if you think it is a greater stress as a day, section, or thru hiker--I think that there can be differences there.  YMMV)

1) Trying to not be the last person out of the shelter in the morning.--This sounds crazy but many times I have seen some sort of group dynamic happen where as soon as the 1st person gets almost ready to put on the pack everyone else starts rushing. I was sucked into this several times. Rushing is counter productive. You probably won't make an extra mile that day and you might, as I did, leave something important in the shelter and spent a couple of hours walking back to get it.

2) Having expectations as to what the trail will be like for the day's hike.--Looking at the terrain maps are a sure way to build expectations of the coming trail. The little ups and downs on the maps are almost always either better or worse than thought. When the little bump that was anticipated turns into a 2 mile up with 4 or 5 false summits then the stress builds.

3) Hiking someone else's hike.--Matching their pace, making stops only when they want to stop, walking when you really need a break or need another 10 minutes on the one you just had.

4) Rushing to get to the shelter.--There are a lot of "good" reasons to rush toward the shelter. It is entirely logical to get an early start on the day and walk fast so that you will be in the dry shelter than night instead of being in the tent in the rain as was the case for the last few nights. It may be logical but is another form of #3.

5) Gear that doesn't work--Either it broke or never did work or it isn't what you need right now.

6) Injuries either major or minor--Avoid the major ones as possible and don't ignore the minor stuff like a sore muscle or a callus on your foot. They tend to nag at you, make you change your pace, and when you aren't hiking like you want to hike, stress builds.

Shelly Hale