[at-l] Pocketmail experiences on long-distance hikes?

>Would someone who has used a pocketmail device on a long-distance hike
>share their experience please? Would you recommend it?
>
>Thanks.
>
>David

David,
   I used the Pocketmail device for my AT-Thru hike this year.  I had
great experience with it.  I made a couple of mistakes that caused
problems.  I brought it into my sleeping bag planning on writing my
daily journal at Standing Indian Shelter.  It was very cold and rainy
so the shelter filled up quickly.  I didn"t have enough elbow room to
type and was affraid if I left my bag to repack the composer I would
lose some of the space I had achieved so I decided to keep it in my
bag with me.  Somehow I managed to roll over on it during the night
and cracked the screen.  I was without a device for about 1 1/2 weeks
while a replacement was delivered to me on the trail.  At Standing
Bear Farm I was able to use the two devices to transfer data from the
damaged computer to the new computer.  then I transcribed all of the
journal entries I had been taking by hand into the new machine and
sent it via email home to my wife.  In the Roan Mountains I
accidently dropped my pack onto the top of the Pocket Mail Composer
and cracked a little bit of the corner of the screen again.  But this
time It did not interfere with use.  It has been an excellent tool.
I never had problems making connections.  I even found it possible to
use a generous hikers analog cell phone to relay my email.  I
recommend it highly.  I did keep it in a special waterproof bag
because I heard of other hikers having digital cameras, radios, cell
phones, and pocketmail devices damaged by dense fog and humidity.
--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman