[at-l] welp, and stuff...

At 12:49 AM 11/13/2004 -0500, Felix wrote:
>Shane Steinkamp wrote:
>
>>>It's a much bigger picture than this.
>>>

>>Please to excuse my ignorance.  I don't get the ATN any more.  I paid my
>>dues and had the subscription sent to the library.  Could you elaborate on
>>what's going on here?
>
>I'm not sure about anything other than my little part of the ATN. And,
>maybe I shouldn't elaborate on even that. I suppose I shall say that I've
>felt for quite a while that nobody there really cared one way or another
>if I sent them stories. After a while of that, the desire to write the
>stories kinda goes away. and, there were other things that I suppose
>diplomacy will keep me from discussing. And, Saunterer, I'm not certain
>that there is going to be an option of sending the stories anyway. I've
>felt for a while that a few people there are not particular fans of me or
>my writing. They seem to be more in charge now.

I hope that's not true but who knows. I've been a lean-to adopter (read
'shelter maintainer' if'n you're not an Adirondacker) for 12 years. I had
one lean-to for 11 years then I had some physical problems that lead me to
quit for a year. When I stopped I voiced a couple of complaints about the
program, lack of communication and zero recognition of volunteers. I got
feeling better and it took another year to get another lean-to so there was
a two year gap in my volunteering but I did notice the communication had
gotten better this year (or maybe I got pushier about it). Then I got a
notice of a meeting for adopters to get together and have speakers, discuss
things of concern and recognize those who had volunteered for at least 10
years. It was today. I went. The speakers were mostly good, the discussion
was good but I discovered that my time as a volunteer only counts from when
I came back so, as far as they are concerned I've only done 1 year's worth,
not 12.

You see Felix, sometimes bureaucracies are like that... DUMB! Don't let it
bum you out or stop you from writing your stuff. It's good even if they
don't recognize it. I've told you off list and now I'll say it on list, you
are a good writer. So write your thru-journal. I don't care if it's half
true and half made up (or some other proportion). If you can't get a
publisher to print it, put it on line like "Then The Hail Came". As the old
saying goes "Do your best. Somebody might appreciate it". As for those who
don't, FTITCTJ.

The Jim who will Saunter off to maintain his lean-to again next year even
if it is only the second *real* year out of 13.