[at-l] FACT

Weary,

Thanks, this may cause harsh debate at times, but it is very ON  TOPIC.
If saving our wild areas shouldn't be discussed here (which is what this
discussion really is), what should? Football? ;-)
Saving our wild areas, alternate fuels, less polution, all good ON topic
discussions, all important to hikers. Hard to feel anything can be done
about them, as long as BIG OIL is in office, but we have to try anyway.
And no, I don't always practice what I preach, but I try.

hotdog

In a message dated 11/12/2004 11:04:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

>"...FACT I am tired of this senseles argument..."

FACT. It's  not a senseless argument. It's an important policy issue
involving the  commitment of industrialized society to gradually wean itself from
fossil  fuels. We can learn to live with less energy and more benign kinds of
energy.  Or we can ravish some of the few remaining wild places for whatever
scraps of  energy can be found.

Yes. Greyowl, you are right. No one knows the full  story about this -- or
anything -- for that matter. That doesn't mean that  wise humans shouldn't
continue to investigate and debate policies.

The  debate over drilling in the arctic in some ways parallels the debate
over  400-foot windtowers adjacent to the AT in Maine. What are we willing to
damage  to avoid giving up our wasteful ways?

I have no doubt that you and  others of the same mind will win. The world and
its inhabitants will suffer as  a result. But I intend from time to time
raise my voice in protest,  nevertheless. Conscience allows no other  choice.

Weary