[at-l] Catskills on my mind

While not the Catskills, if you want to cut down on the driving there is
the Mohonk/Minnewaska area, lots of old carriage roads and side trails,
easy hiking, great views if you plan your hike along the escarpment.

Catskills proper? Hmmm... short, easy dayhike?

Overlook Mt outside of Phonecia comes to mind, but it's been years since
I've been there and I hesitate on the recommendation so that I can't be
accused of sandbagging you <g>. (Actually it's my memory that I'm
hesitating on, as I remember it being easy, maybe easier than it really
is...).
Panther Mt from the Olive Bridge side (I think that's the name of the town,
it's the other side of Panther Ridge from Phonecia). Half mile or so fairly
steep climb to the ridge line, then a walk down the ridge with relatively
minor elevation change to the short climb to the summit proper. Great views
out over Woodland Valley. I'm guessing that it's five miles round-trip, but
it could be as much as seven miles.
Ah yes, and North Lake outside Catskill. Classic walk along the Escarpment
Trail past Artist's Rock, etc. Extend it into a loop by going over North
Point and circling back into the park, or use part of your time to explore
Katterskill Falls.

skeeter