[at-l] sleeping bags

For the past 25 years I've used a down sleeping bag liner between mid-April and mid November -- augmented when it gets cold by a down jacket and long johns. I don't know what it weighed originally, but when I got off the trail in '93 it weighed around 28 ounces. I see a feather excape occasionally, so I assume it has lost some weight.

I wash it every few years. A couple of years ago I left it in a rotary washer in a commercial laundromat. When I came back an hour or so later, the bag was no wheres to be found. I left my name with the attendant in case some one had mixed with their laundry by mistake. That evening I got a phone call. While cleaning up for the day, she found the sleeping bag on the top of the machine's drum, where it apparently had stuck during the spin cycle.

It's a thin bag, nylon taffetta with sewn through "baffles," light weight and easily stuffed. But it's comfotable for me to about 40 degrees, and to freezing or below if I wear a down jacket with it. I have no idea anymore about the original cost, but I suspect it was less than $50. It's all I carried walking north in 1993, starting on April 13.

Weary