[at-l] OT - Sports Snobs

In a message dated 10/21/2004 2:09:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cedric_maxwell@yahoo.com writes:

What  exactly is going on here? A bunch of people post to the list about a
very
exciting game that they were happy to watch. Then it draws all these
attcking,
anti-sports emails. What is wrong with you people? If you don't  care about
sports than, um.... DONT CARE ABOUT SPORTS. Don't demean and  look down on
people that really enjoy seeing athletes compete at the  highest level. Are
you
guys just jealous that some people can get joy out  of sports, while you
can't?

****
Looks like you should practice what you preach.  Read your last
"put down" line above.
****

It  is stuff like this that really makes this list hard to read sometimes.  I
mean, nobody was saying "If you didn't watch the game, you were stupid"  or
"people that don't like sports are mentally challanged". So why the need  to
lash out? In case you haven't looked around the world lately, a lot of  people
like stuff that a lot of other people don't. Some people like to  look at art
for an afternoon (snooze), some people like NASCAR (ugh!).
****
Looks like you lash out and do "put downs" too.
Funny, because NASCAR fans are more fanatical then any other sport in
the USA. AND, it's the biggest spectator sport in the USA, and  growing.
I guess you DO know how people feel, that could care less about your sports
(you just acted the same way about Art & NASCAR).

And remember, a huge chunk of the people in this country feel the same way
about hiking.

At least your post was marked OT, thanks.
****

If you don't like a topic being discussed here because it is  offtopic, then
go
ahead and say so. But to get up on a pedestal and claim  that you are so
enlightened because you don't watch professional sports and  you don't buy
into
the corporate machine, blah, blah, BLAH! No only is it  just inconsiderate to
those people who DO enjoy pro sports, it makes you  sound like a bore.

****
It's their opinion. You don't have to like it, or even read it.
But we should all mark these posts OT. Most of the posts were  not.
By the way, you sound like a grouch... But at least you're not a  bore.
****

And  for those of you that think that there is no benefit to sports, or that
its
hollow or that they have no value... all you have to do is walk around
Boston,
or just about anywhere in New England today. Smiles are a little  brighter
today, people are a little friendlier. These games have value -  not because
the
games themselves mean anything - but because people value  them. You might not
like it, but it is a fact.
****
That is true... Winning makes people happy. Did the games make the people  in
NE
happy, or was it just winning?
But it's also a fact that some jerks torch cars and riot after sports  events
(especially if
they win). Lots of value there... It's like the AT. A few people giving
others and
their chosen sports a bad name.
****

So can we stop the whole sports-have-value debate? Pro sports  make a lot of
people happy, since a lot of people enjoy watching  professional sports. There
is no need for the people that don't understand  this to soapbox the people
that
do. I mean, I have plenty of energy today,  so I'll keep going if you all want
to keep trying to make me feel like a  worthless slug in the corporate machine
(which you won't, but the way, but  you are welcome to try). However, this
whole
argument seems so hollow and  valueless... why continue?

**
"Why continue"?
Hmmm.. Because you did?
Nah....

"a worthless slug in the corporate machine"?
Where did that come from? Why would you feel that way?

This whole issue IS hollow and valueless to some...
And it's been discussed to death here over the years.
End result was some people love their teams, others could
care less. Tie it in to the trail and discuss it, or mark it OT.

My wife is a sports fanatic, but she doesn't other put people down
that follow different teams... At least not seriously.. ;-)

hotdog