[at-l] Camping for the Gathering and the Use of Alcohol

At 10:52 AM 9/29/2004 -0400, TrailR@aol.com wrote in response to Jim O's
comment:
> >Fact  is, we expected a representation from Billville at the Spring
> meeting.
>
> >Only they didn't show.  Too bad, cause some of us really wanted to  talk to
> >them and work out some answers that would be acceptable to all of  us.  Now
> >we've got a solution for this Gathering but we're back to  the same
> >unacceptable situation at Hanover next year - still with no  resolution to
> >the problem.
>**
>Since you mention Billville in particular, I will too.
>Is Billville the real problem? Or is it other groups of drinkers?  Billville
>seems to police itself fairly well, and seems to clean up their mess
>(as far as I know). Most of the mess I usually see is from other less
>organized groups, that throw their garbage by the nearest can. And
>Billville is entertaining, as long as you camp far away...

The following comments and observations are purely mine. I am not an
officer in ALDHA, I'm speaking only for myself as a member and I'm probably
about to make myself unpopular again. They are not directed to/at anyone in
particular. That said:

Despite the hostility directed toward Warren Doyle and the Folklife Center
accusing them of trying to "split the group" I suggest that part of the
friction with Billville is the result of the fact that *they* set
themselves up as a separate group within ALDHA. I have the distinct
impression that at least some of the Billville group come to the Gathering
to attend Billville and that the rest is secondary/unimportant. My
impression has been reinforced by post-Gathering comments of some Billville
members to the effect that they spent pretty much the whole Gathering
weekend "in Billville".

As I understand it, the enforcement of the prohibition of alcohol at the
Folklife Center this year is not aimed at specifically at Billville, though
members of Billville may well be amongst those who prompted it. It stems
from a need to follow the Folklife Center's long standing rules RE: no
alcohol or lose a place to camp for free during the Gathering. Cleaning up
empties after is *not* the issue. Keeping those who imbibed too much from
being obnoxious/disruptive is *not* the issue. Those are merely the
evidence of the violations. Violating the no alcohol rule is the issue.

It seems to me that what the Gathering is about is well expressed here
<http://www.aldha.org/what.htm>. Please note that nowhere does it say it's
purpose is to "PARTY" in the sense of "having a few" or getting drunk with
your friends (although those dogs in the picture do look like they've been
eating fermented ALPO). What that page says is why I have attended
Gatherings twice (and hopefully will again, but not this year).

Having one (or more?) subgroups the Gathering who at least appear to be
piggybacking on ALDHA to conduct their own get-together with a separate
agenda detracts from the group identity and spirit that ALDHA has set for
the Gathering. You want there to be one group at the Gathering? Join ALDHA
in the spirit of the Gathering and pursue your other agendas at another
time, in another place.