[at-l] Hiking Poles

At 10:13 AM 9/22/2004 -0700, Waterfall commented:
> > but bear in mind that I have a
> > hearing problem so it
> > may simply be that the sound is in the same
> > frequency range as my hearing
> > loss.
>
>I thought anti-shock meant that lightning could strike
>your poles while you were hiking but you'd still be
>OK. ??? Am I missing something here?

Yes, but it isn't your sense of humor that is missing. :)

>Seriously, your e-mail reminded me that hearing loss
>isn't always a bad thing when it spares us the
>annoying little noises that bother other people. I'm
>mostly deaf and have never noticed any noise from the
>anti-shock (my poles are anti-shock). I like the
>anti-shock. They have a more fluid feel, to me.
>Particularly on the uphills. I get into a rhythm.

My EMS/Komperdell don't compress unless I really lean on it hard and I
rarely do.

>But I wouldn't recommend trying to use the anti-shock
>poles as pogo sticks. It just doesn't work.

Nope!

>Lucky for me, I don't hear any clacking sound that the
>poles make on rocks either. But then again, I don't
>hear telephones or most fire alarms, so maybe I'm not
>the person to comment on this ... :-)

I have both hearing loss and tinnitus. Sometimes the hearing loss is a
blessing in that I don't hear stuff I rather not anyway. The tinnitus OTOH
has no redeeming qualities and I really miss "hearing" the silence in the
woods.