[at-l] Hiking Poles

At 12:37 PM 9/22/2004 -0400, Mark Hudson wrote:
>Now to rattle the cage a little more: Anti-shock or Non-Anti Shock? What's
>the preference?

My EMS/Komperdell can be used either way. Frankly I couldn't see any
benefit from the anti-shock...

>Me? I can't stand the clack-clack-clack from the anti shock. They'd have to
>be really good for me to put up with the noise...

Nor did I notice any difference in the noise which seems to come mostly
from the carbide tips on rocks. The (rather stiff) spring action was
essentially noiseless but bear in mind that I have a hearing problem so it
may simply be that the sound is in the same frequency range as my hearing
loss. FWIW I keep a rubber tip on it most of the time to reduce the
clacking sound. In some situations it doesn't 'bite' as well as the carbide
and then the rubber tip comes off.