[at-l] Hiking poles - On Topic(ish)

All:

I recently had my boots resoled, and the owner of the bootery tried to sell
me a new set of laces---mine had over a thousand miles on them, and they
were a little trail-loved, shall we say.

I laughed and told him that those laces have been with me through some of
the hardest moments of my life, every single step. Getting my Vasque
Vagabonds resoled was tough enough, but I was not willing to part with those
laces....

And my hiking stick. Mine's handmade, with the rubber tip, soft leather
grip, and with my trail name etched into it. Other nicks and gashes are
journey scars that have stories to tell, and each of them adds to the longer
journey of all of my walks combined.

Bizarre to many of my friends, even those who hike, is this nearly spiritual
connection I have with my hiking stick. To be without it is to be without a
closest friend who has been with me on the trail, every step of the way.

It's a little heavy, and it doesn't collapse, but it's been with me through
it all, and on the toughest of false summits, it always seems to get me
through with some comfort...I wouldn't hike anywhere without it.

PeaceSpring