[at-l] Hiking poles - On Topic

At 09:38 AM 9/22/2004 -0400, Bror8588@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 9/22/04 09:18:39 Eastern Daylight Time,
>mizwaterfall@yahoo.com writes:
>

> > My husband has non-adustable poles,
> > and I don't see how he can stand not being able to
> > adjust them! :)
> >

>Non adjustable hiking poles can be used like adjustable hiking poles by
>changing the position of one's hands on the poles.  It is faster and
>quicker. (Or
>perhaps it makes the hike go faster because it is quicker to make the
>adjustment.)

Yeahbut, they are not easily stowed when you don't need them. Plus if you
are using it as a monopod, it is helpful to be able to change the height
when you are shooting flowers or other stuff on the ground. I own and use
several poles (cane and staff lengths of bamboo, cane and staff lengths of
wood, a Tracks brand adjustable and an EMS/Komperdell adjustable) but I
carry the adjustable ones on longer hikes because of the adjustability. As
for quicker, I'm rarely in a hurry when hiking.